The 2012-2013 season opens for Texas-Arlington basketball with a game against Cal State Bakersfield on November 9 in Bakersfield. The Mavericks look like they've put together a squad that can match last season's team. They hope that the loss of the players that gave them 40% of their minutes last season will be offset by the efforts of three incoming freshmen.
Texas-Arlington will see the largest deficiency on offense, where the team lost 75.9% of their three-point shooting. Following that is scoring, where they also lost a big 51.4% of last year's output.
Texas-Arlington finished with an overall record of 23-7 last season and won the Southland West by putting up a conference record of 15-1. The Mavericks lost to McNeese State 92-72 in the Southland tournament. They then went to the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) as a #8 seed, eventually losing to Washington, 82-72. Texas-Arlington lost last year's seniors LaMarcus Reed III (30 minutes per game), Bo Ingram (26 MPG), and Bradley Gay (17 MPG). The Mavericks will also have to live without Jorge Redmon (16 MPG) and Nicholaus Osbourne (2 MPG), who left the team.
Familiar faces for the Mavericks are senior Kevin Butler (10.8 points/game), senior Jordan Reves (1.7 blocked shots/game), junior Shaquille White-Miller (3.7 assists/game), senior Cameron Catlett (2.6 assists/game), and junior Brandon Edwards (4.3 points/game).
Incoming freshmen joining the Mavericks include 6-1 Luke Davis, 6-2 Drew Charles, and 6-6 Deon Rodgers. The team picks up several other players, including 6-2 sophomore Jamel Outler, 6-1 junior Reger Dowell (transferred from Oklahoma State), 6-5 junior Vincent Dillard, 6-2 junior Kyle McElvain, 6-5 junior Greg Gainey, and 6-5 junior Vernell Blackman. Texas-Arlington kicks off WAC play on December 29th against New Mexico State.
Tags: LaMarcus Reed III
- Since 2002, Texas-Arlington has an overall winning percentage of 54.1%. The Mavericks have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 58.0%.
- The Mavericks have an average conference finish of 4.2 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 4.6.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 193.5.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Texas (#59).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Houston Baptist (#325).
- The last time Texas-Arlington returned more than 60% of the team's statistical production was 2011-2012.
, Bo Ingram
, Bradley Gay
, Jorge Redmon
, Nicholaus Osbourne
, Kevin Butler
, Jordan Reves
, Shaquille White-Miller
, Cameron Catlett
, Brandon Edwards
, Luke Davis
, Drew Charles
, Deon Rodgers
, Jamel Outler
, Reger Dowell
, Vincent Dillard
, Kyle McElvain
, Greg Gainey
, Vernell Blackman